March 7, 2013

Dark Chocolate + Pistachio Truffles

I don't bake. 
For some reason I just can't do it well, no matter how hard I try. 
I even mess up Betty Crocker. 
And dare I attempt a pastry from scratch?! 
Forget it. 
I think my measuring cups and spoons are at fault, but I can't be sure.
Unfortunately for my husband and son, I keep trying, and I still act disappointed when they don't like my creations, even though I know they are crap.
Here is my most recent attempt, and my new recipe of the week:
"Chocolate Pistachio Truffles"
I had to adapt the coatings because they turned into little balls of super tart lead, and the pistachios wouldn't stick. 
I don't even think you can call them truffles.
I don't know what you would call them... 
Regardless, I encourage you to give them a go. 
Maybe someone can give me some insight on how I buggered this one up?!
Don't Let Their Looks Deceive You

Recipe from Clodagh McKenna's delightful cookbook "Homemade: Irresistible Recipes for Every Occassion"
Ingredients:
7 oz. good quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 1/4 cups of finely chopped pistachios

Directions:
1. Slowly melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a saucepan until it is smooth and glossy
2. Gently heat the cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until warm
3. Pour the cream onto the melted chocolate and mix well until fully incorporated
4. Mix in 2/3 of the pistachios. Set aside to cool and firm up (you can refrigerate the mixture to speed up the process if desired)
5. Once firm, take teaspoons of the mixture and roll into walnut-sized balls, then leave to set on a tray lined with parchment paper.
6. Once set, roll the truffles in the remaining pistachio nuts to coat

*I rolled 1/3 in the pistachios, 1/3 in powdered sugar and 1/3 in cinnamon sugar to coat because 
I used 85% dark chocolate and I thought it needed a balance of sweet....
Also, I refrigerated them after I rolled them, which might have been my downfall....maybe they will soften before dessert-time?!
Here's hoping because I don't have another dessert!
Enjoy?!

No comments:

Post a Comment