April 9, 2014

Je m'appelle Karra


I am not French.

My step-father was French Canadian, and to my little bit of knowledge, I have heard that doesn't really count... 

I took four years of French in high school under a man with a thick Boston accent....
ask me how I fared in Paris...
it wasn't pretty. 
In fact, it was an absolute fucking nightmare.
I left broke and in tears, on a Southbound train headed for Italy...

Well, I guess when it is all said in done, I am probably as French as French toast.

Or, French Onion Soup!

mmm...French Onion Soup!


Cry Festival:
Four pounds of onions ready to go!
Onions, after one hour in the oven at 400 degrees.
The house smells yummy!
Two hours and counting...
I hope this is good...
After the third hour...
Getting brown!
Out of the oven and onto the stove top...
The onions are finally nice and dark after three reductions on the stove top.
Like I said, I hope this is good!
Soup!
Toasted homemade crusty bread with Provolone.
Leave it to me to cook all day and forget the Gruyere!
The cheese is the most important part of French onion soup!
How could I forget!?!
Oh well, we are too far now...
Presto!


This soup was very very good.
All day good?!
I don't know about that...
But it was pretty good.

Maybe if I hadn't forgotten the key ingredient (Gruyere cheese), it would have been better...

Nonetheless, I would recommend it on a rainy indoor day;
 It is affordable, comforting and your house will smell amazing!

Let me know what you think!

Recipe
6-8 Servings

Ingredients:
4 pounds of onions (I used a combination of yellow and red)
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tsp of salt

1/4 cup of dry sherry

5 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cups of beef broth
4 cups of chicken broth
salt to taste

Gruyere or Provolone Cheese
Crusty Bread

Directions:
Chop your onions and cry your eyes out.
Coat the inside of a large dutch oven with the 3 tablespoons of butter
Add onions and 1 tsp of salt

Cook for one hour.
Take out and stir.

Cook for another hour.
Take out and stir. Scrape the brown bits from the sides of the dutch oven and stir into the onions.

Cook for another hour (three hours total in the oven).
Take out and stir. 
Put on the stove top over medium heat and stir until the onions start to brown. Continue to scrape the bottom and sides of the dutch oven to capture all of the beautiful caramelization.

Pour in 1/2 a cup of water. Stir, scrape and reduce. Repeat this three more time.

When the onions are dark brown, add the sherry, scrape and stir until reduced one last time.

Add 2 cups of water, the beef and chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf. Allow to simmer on low for 30-40 minutes. Salt to taste.

At the end of the simmer, toast your bread until crunchy. Top with cheese and melt.

To serve: Pour one cup of soup into a large bowl. Add a sprinkling or slice of cheese. Top with more soup. Serve with toasted cheese bread!

Enjoy!


* I adapted this recipe from Cook's magazine and my own taste preferences...


No comments:

Post a Comment