May 5, 2013

Free of Meat Recipe #5

Caesar Pleaser

I don't know if this can technically be considered "vegetarian," since it does contain anchovies, but c'mon...close enough, right!? 
I guess I'd serve it to my non-vegetarian friends without muttering a word, but if somebody shows up with conviction, I guess I would be nice enough to disclose that it does contain fish...
Urgh. 
I grilled the romaine, which is unnecessary, but adds a nice depth of flavor. 
Also, I can't take full credit for this recipe; It is adapted from one of our favorite restaurants that used to make it table side, 1980's style.
It is delicious.
I like it. 
Try it on for size and let me know what you think.
The Essential Ingredients

The Paste 

Recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 can of anchovy fillets; draining is optional; more flavorful if you don't drain them
1/2 tablespoon of capers
1 garlic clove, minced

Steps:
1. Mash the above ingredients into a paste (See above image)

Ingredients:
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
splash of balsamic vinegar
1 egg
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper

2. Mix all of the above ingredients

Ingredients:
Olive Oil (1-2 cups)
Parmesan Cheese/Romano Cheese (3 cups)
3 Heads of Romaine Lettuce, chopped, cleaned and spun ( optional: brush with oil, salt and pepper and grill until wilted and warm)
2 cups of croutons (homemade recommended)

3. Add olive oil in a slow drizzle to the above ingredients, stirring as you add
4. Add Parmesan/Romano Cheese and toss with lettuce and croutons to coat
5. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan/Romano cheese


I apologize that I neglected to take a photo of the finished product; I was too busy chowing down. 
Oh well, I guess I'll have to make it again! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment