May 16, 2014

Ahh nuts!


I knew I should have never, ever, ever started to experiment with this concept; 
sweet and spicy candied nuts....
but now I am in too deep, 
and extremely addicted...





 The love affair began when I found something similar at Homegood's...a sweet, crunchy, 
candy - nut concoction.
They were so good that I hid them at the back of my cabinet, out of view from any potential snackers.
I ate them all.

I loved them, but I kept thinking that something was missing...heat!
So I created a mixture of what I think is my perfect mix of sweet, salty, spicy and nutty.

Feel free to adjust the ingredients to your liking. These are so quick and versatile.
Eat them warm right out of the oven...
Or put them in a sealable container of some sort and save them for about a month. 
But don't worry...they won't last that long anyhow.

Oh, those little crumblings on the bottom of the dish!?! 
To. die. for...

These should definitely come with a warning label.

Recipe:
Makes enough to fill four 500 ml sized jars after snacking...

Ingredients:
2 cups of pecans
2 cups of walnuts
1 cup of chopped hazelnuts
1/3 cup of dark brown sugar
2/3 cup of white sugar
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 egg white

The steps toward addiction:
1. Beat the egg white until foamy and toss into the nuts until they are shiny and coated.
2. Mix the sugars, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne and slowly add to the nuts, tossing to coat.
3. Line a large tray with parchment and spread out the nuts in an even layer
4. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Stir about half way through.
5. Remove from the oven
6. Taste one small piece of nut and never look back...

Enjoy!

This is a perfect Friday treat!



No comments:

Post a Comment