February 3, 2014

Touchdown!


Ya, I don't really get into football.
Fanatics tend to scare me; 
they are loud and aggressive and somewhat unreasonable. 
I just don't understand the entire culture.

Call me un-American.

 Maybe it is because I grew up in a town where they barely had enough boys to make a soccer team...and I went to a college where lacrosse was almighty... 
but I can dig any party, 
so when Superbowl Sunday rolls around you can guarantee that I will be in the kitchen snacking on all things bar-food inspired.

Also, we didn't have a party, but if we did I can imagine a sea of fat: 
pulled pork nachos, Thai peanut chicken wings...maybe a giant fountain of cheese!?

But since there was only a few of us, I tamed my inner food-pushing beast and only made a few select items...

Double Smoked Bacon Jalapeno Poppers

Before the Oven

Half of these are stuffed with cream cheese and chives, and the other half are stuffed with a mixture of cheddar and monterey jack cheeses.


Fingerling Potato Skins

Before the oven

Who doesn't love potato skins?!
I made these with fingerling potatoes to make them ultra snack-able.


Recipes:

Jalapeno Poppers
Makes 12 poppers

Ingredients:
6 Jalapeno Peppers
4 ounces of cream cheese
monterey jack cheese
cheddar cheese
chives
fresh ground pepper

Directions:
Cook 12 slices of thin-sliced bacon until golden brown but still bendable. Set aside to drain and cool.
Cut the jalapeno peppers in half, lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs. 
Arrange the peppers, cut side up on a parchment lined pan or baking dish.
Mix the cream cheese with chives and black pepper. 
Fill the peppers with the cream cheese mixture and wrap with the precooked bacon. Secure with a toothpick if necessary, or tuck the bacon under the pepper to hold it in place.
Bake at 375 until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve immediately.

Fingerling Potato Skins
Makes 12 potato skins

Ingredients;

6 Fingerling potatoes
Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese
Chopped green onions
Cooked bacon pieces
Sour Cream for serving

Directions:
Bake the fingerling potatoes until tender (you should be able to cut them in half with ease)
Cut the potatoes in half and gently scoop out the flesh from each side of the potato. Leave only a thin amount of potato flesh on the skin.
Arrange the potato halves on a parchment lined pan or baking dish.
Fill the halves with cheese, chopped green onion and bacon. 
Bake at 375 until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve immediately with sour cream.


I made mozzarella sticks too, but I burnt the shit out of them, so they didn't make the photo spread.
Sniffle.

I hope you all had a great Superbowl Sunday!

Touchdown!


No comments:

Post a Comment