November 21, 2013

Goat


Did you know that Goat is the number one protein consumed world wide?
News flash: A lot of people think the cow is sacred and that we are crazy for eating beef...

It is also lower in fat and higher in protein than beef or pork! 
Or at least that is what I read...
Who knows if it is true, however I can tell you one thing; It is delicious.
I expected it to taste more like beef, but it was actually more like pork. 
Light, yet rich and savory.
Bleeeeet!


Also, the word on the street is that is the new trendy protein to cook, according to yuppy housewives across America. 
Check out the NY Times article:


My good friend Paul actually cooked this dish...but I stood in close proximity so I feel like I played my part....

Recipe:
Serves a generous crowd

Ingredients:
One, bone in, hind end/including shank of a Goat (approximately 7 pounds)
Salt and Pepper
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 handfuls of radishes, cleaned and chopped in half
4 red potatoes, cleaned and chopped in half
3 carrots, cleaned and roughly chopped
2 ribs of celery, cleaned and roughly chopped
thyme, rosemary and/or parsley sprigs

3 cups of red wine

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place the goat in a large, deep broiling pan. 
Season both sides of the goat well with salt and pepper. Place in the preheated oven for two hours.

Meanwhile, gather and prepare the rest of the ingredients.

After two hours, take out the goat and dump in all of the ingredients. Cover and braise for two more hours.

Remove from the oven, allow to rest for about 10 minutes and pull the meat off of the bone.

Enjoy!!

*It was difficult to find goat meat; Most markets do not sell it, so you will most likely have to go to a Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern market.
If you are one of my PA people, there is a great market in the same plaza as Olga's Greek Cuisine that sells goat, but they only have it fresh on weekends, so plan ahead. 
The man behind the counter is super nice...even though he looked at me like I had three heads when I asked for goat meat.
Crazy white girl...




No comments:

Post a Comment