July 2, 2013

Spicy Corn and Cheddar Chowder

I just bought Martha Stewart's cookbook "Meatless," and there is a reason she has built an entertaining empire. 
I dogeared almost every page... 
Here, I made her 'White - Cheddar Corn Chowder,' but made a few personal adjustments. 
I can't help but tinker.
It is a beautiful, low fat, vegetarian, gluten-free recipe. 
Only 233 calories per serving!
Give it a go, and really try to use fresh sweet corn; I think it made all of the difference.
Yummmmm



Recipe:
Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (I used 1/4 tsp = more heat)
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc. Use what you drink)
3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I only used two potatoes and cut them into tiny 1/4 inch pieces)
2 cups vegetable stock; preferably homemade
1 cup skim milk
3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 6 ears)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated (about 3/4 cup)

Steps:
1. Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium. Cook onion, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add celery and cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add coriander, cumin and cayenne. Raise heat to medium-high, and add wine. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, stock and milk, and bring to a boil (skim any foam from the surface). Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Add corn and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender (I did 1/2 of the batch). Let cool slightly, then puree until smooth. Stir back into into the pan and reheat if needed. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, divide among 6 bowls, top each with cheese, and sprinkle with pepper.
(Chowder can be cooled completely, then refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days; reheat over low)


Here is the link to 'Meatless':

Enjoy Everyone!

(ps. Dear Carnivorous Friends, I think the next time I make this recipe, I will top with fresh crabmeat! Doesn't that sound good!? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment