June 24, 2013

Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry season is here, and what better way to indulge than with a simple, delicious bowl of strawberry shortcake.

My husband grew up having this for dinner, and I thought that was ridiculous.
In my world Strawberry Shortcake was a dessert. 
A mid-day snack.
A treat.

Well, I am converted.

 He made this for dinner, and true to his family's tradition, he used milk instead of whipped cream or ice cream. 
Again, really!? 
Homemade whipped cream is what it is all about. And if not whipped cream, vanilla ice cream is what it is all about.
 Yes?!

Well, again, I think I am converted.

The way the milk soaks into the bisquit is texturally addictive, and after my first trial, I switched to 1% to lessen the fat, and the flavor was not compromised at all. 
It was still yummy.

Also, I added a few sprigs of basil (to which my husband balked), and that too added a depth of great flavor, but it is not necessary.

And with great strawberries abundant, you don't even have to mascerate them = less sugar!
Get them while they are fresh!


Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 flat of strawberries, halved and cleaned 
milk (whole, 2%, 1% or skim, depending on your diet)
Bisquick* (follow directions and ingredients on box)
Sugar (amount to personal preference; My son and I didn't use any because the berries were so sweet and ripe on their own, my husband sprinkled generously because that is how he rolls)
Optional: Basil

Directions:
1. Prepare bisquits per the Bisquick directions. Or better yet, use a homemade recipe!! Don't buy the store made angel foodcake or shortcake; you want them out of the oven, warm. This recipe doesn't require any other cooking, so do it right. And when you get down to it, making Bisquick shouldn't put a kink in your side.
2. Slice and clean strawberries. If the strawberries are ripe, leave them be; if they need a little sweetness, add sugar, toss to coat, and allow them to mascerate for about a 1/2 hour or while the bisquits cook.
3. To serve, put the warm bisquit in a bowl, top with strawberries and drizzle with milk. Taste and adjust sugar to diet and liking. Save some for the rest of your family.

Enjoy!
Any and all homemade bisquit recipes are welcome;
Please share if you have one that you love and recommend!


No comments:

Post a Comment