May 1, 2013

Meat Free Week Recipe #3

Portobello, Red Pepper 
+
Three Cheese Frittata

Last night I paired this simple dish with biscuits and a grilled romaine salad, and it was a hit even with my carnivorous husband. I thought for sure he would make fun of me for making a 'quiche' for dinner, but the words "this is good" actually came out of his mouth...And he went up for seconds!
That is always the best complement.



Recipe:
Yields one Pie Plate (6-8 servings)
        
Ingredients:
3 Portobello mushrooms, sliced or chopped
3 Green Onions, sliced or chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, sliced or chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
8 eggs
1/4 cup of whole milk
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
freshly ground black pepper
kosher salt

Steps:
1. Slice or chop your vegetables and saute in 2 tablespoons of oil until slightly tender. Salt and Pepper.
2. Beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper
3. Spray pie pan with non-stick spray
4. Dump in egg mixture, chopped basil, monterey jack and cheddar cheese, then the vegetable mixture. Stir lightly. Top with mozzarella cheese and decorate top with sliced mushrooms and peppers.
5. Bake, covered for 30 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake until eggs are set and the cheese on top is melted.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature.
*Great Alternative: Grill Vegetables instead of sauteing them


 I have made many different versions of this recipe depending on what I have in my crisper, garden and cheese drawer.
You can use almost any vegetable or cheese you have available, because this dish is pretty forgiving. 
I try to get a variety of colors and textures for interest, but try it with your favorite vegetables and cheeses, and I am sure you will not be disappointed. 
 I actually made a great one for my son's third birthday party which you can check out as well under my 'Drinkies and Snackies' page. 
This dish is perfect for a Spring brunch, lunch or an early dinner. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment