April 9, 2013

Ratatouille

I feel like I have made a million versions of ratatouille, a million different times in my life, but I had never dubbed it 'ratatouille,' or actually followed a recipe.
Last night, however, after a week of constant nagging from my son, I made an official 'ratatouille.' 
Thank you Pixar.
It was so easy, and so delicious. 
I loosely followed Emeril's recipe, and made adjustments according to my vegetable bin, and the images of how Remy the Rat assembled the dish running through my mind.
I can't wait for our garden to bloom so I can make this with our very own vegetables.
Yum.
(Start with a layer of olive oil, chopped onions and red peppers, salt, pepper and herbs)

(Assemble by stacking vegetables in a radial fashion)

(Scatter a layer of chopped onions, peppers, olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs...repeat, then bake. See details below)

Bake at 375 until the vegetables are tender and juicy! 


Recipe:
1 Medium Eggplant, sliced thin
1 Medium Zucchini, sliced thin
1 Medium Yellow Squash, sliced thin
1/2 Red Onion, chopped
1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups of olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. chopped herbs (I used thyme and rosemary) 

To assemble:
1. Drizzle bottom of a round baking dish with olive oil. Make a layer of red onion and red pepper. Salt and Pepper.
2. Working radially, stack Eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash around the perimeter of the dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt, pepper and herb.
3. Scatter another layer of red onion and red pepper.
4. Repeat step #2
5. End by topping with a scattering of onion, pepper, herbs, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
6. Cover and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Even the French Peasants Cook Better Than Rich Americans!
Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment