February 25, 2013

Peanut Butter + Banana Noodles


We recently ordered peanut noodles from a local Chinese restaurant, but they were so sad. 
I was in love with the idea that they could marry two of my son's favorite things to eat: peanut butter and noodles. 
It sounded like a no-brainer.
Sadly, what we got was a large clump of overcooked noodles with a thick, beige, glue-like substance that tasted more like wax, than peanut butter. Wa.
I figured I could give this concept a go, 
but I took it an extra step by adding Elias' third favorite food, bananas.
I don't want to be one of those mom's who says, "even your child will eat this!"; because truth be told, that would be annoying. 
But, these are so good that even your child will eat them.
I fed him the noodles, with the peanut sauce and bananas, but then I added my own ingredients to make it more adult friendly.
See what you think. 
Bad Picture, But You Catch My Drift
Doctored-Up

Recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine, 2002
Ingredients:
1 cup of peanut butter
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup of warm pasta water
2 tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. rooster sauce
squeeze of lime juice

1 lb. noodles (I used red rice noodles, because they are gluten free, but the recipe calls for soba. Also, whole wheat thin spaghetti would work)
4 scallions, sliced thin
1/2 red pepper, sliced thin
1/2 cucumber, sliced thin
1 cup of sprouts
1 cup cilantro, chopped
toasted sesame seeds

Optional:
Banana, sliced 
grilled chicken, shrimp....

Directions:
1. Mix the first 10 ingredients
2. Cook noodles to package directions; or soak rice noodles to package directions
3. For kid's version just toss the noodles and the sauce, and add the sliced banana (optional: toss with sesame seeds)
4. For adult's version, toss the noodles, sauce and remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. 
Optional:
Serve with extra chopped cilantro, extra chopped peanuts, rooster sauce, lime slices

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment