January 17, 2013

Quasi - New Recipe

"Green Eggs and Ham"
I made this delight for the book themed party this past weekend, and I will definitely be making it again, especially if we have a crowd to feed. 

Although I have made what we call in our home "cheesy eggs" a million times, which is essentially the same recipe, just scrambled and cooked in a pan; this was the first time I baked them in the oven "frittata" style. I was a little nervous, and I had to bake them longer than I anticipated, but the results were yummy, and I love the fact that I can assemble them before the party, and bake them while I socialize.
Feel free to adjust the ingredients to taste, or use different vegetables/cheeses. It is a pretty forgiving dish, and I typically use whatever vegetables we have lying around the bin. For example, broccoli, mushrooms, red onion, and monterrey jack or cheddar cheeses are great options. 

Also, I definitely recommend adding the poblano cheese sauce (recipe at the end), but it isn't necessary...unless you love to eat copious amounts of cheese like I do.You can see by this photo that I must have been listening to the angel instead of the devil that day.

Ingredients:
12 eggs
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup of whole milk
Handful of fresh baby spinach, chopped
4 green onions, sliced and sauteed in butter; reserve 1/4 for topping
1 roasted poblano pepper, peeled and chopped
1 cup of Canadian bacon, or ham, cubed or sliced
1 lb of cooper cheese, sliced thin
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper

Steps:
1. Prepare a baking dish by coating the bottom with butter, and preheat the oven sauteed green onions, poblano pepper and canadian bacon into the eggs. *Make sure you reserve some of the green onions for the top of the dish!
5. Layer egg mixture, cheese, egg mixture, cheese, egg mixture, cheese...
6. Sprinkle the remainder of the green onions on top of the eggs.
7. Bake in oven for 35 minutes until eggs are set
8. Let set for 5-10  minutes before serving

Optional: Serve with additional poblano cheese sauce

Poblano-Cheese Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 stick of butter
3 tablespoons of flour
s/p
2 cups of milk
1 lb of cooper cheese
1 cup of parmesan cheese
poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped.
1 tablespoon of chopped thyme

Steps:
1. Make a white sauce by melting butter, adding flour and stirring until incorporated and foamy. Add salt, pepper and thyme.
2. Add milk and cook until hot (do not boil)
3. Add cheeses slowly until melted; stir continuously until creamy and delicious
4. Stir in poblanos 
5. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary
6. Pour over eggs and revel in gluttony.

Enjoy Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment