Strawberry, Balsamic Vinegar, and Black Pepper Preserves
|The black pepper in this jam adds a surprising kick, and seems to get more pronounced with time. I serve this on crostini spread with a nice triple creme; or serve it over vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert. Yum.|
8 cups of fresh, ripe strawberries, cleaned and cut
3/4 cup of sugar
4 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of fresh ground pepper
1 packet of fruit pectin
1. Prepare your ingredients and your canning equipment; get water boiling for canning process (see link below for canning procedures).
2. Cook and chop strawberries slowly in a large pot over medium until almost boiling.
3. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and pepper.
4. Stir the sugar and pectin together, then add to the strawberry mixture.
5. Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes; remove any foam with a large spoon and discard.
**You don't have to do this step, but it will make for a clearer preserve.
6. Can the strawberry preserve according to canning instructions (link below)
7. Let cool + add labels so you and/or your recipients know what you made. Dates are always good too.
8. Refrigerate or store; serve over triple creme, goat cheese with crisp crackers, bread or the like...or drizzle over vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert. Yum.
(I manipulated this recipe from one I found on epicurious.com over a year ago; I didn't copy it exactly or print out the recipe, so this recipe was derived from my scribbly notebook. The first batch I made came out super sweet, so I cut back on the sugar...let me know what you think)!