January 14, 2014

Gotham City Casserole

I have gotten a ton of positive response and inquiries regarding the 'Gotham City Casserole' I made the other day for my son's Superhero party.

Believe me, it is Superhero worthy!

I actually got the recipe from Deb Perelman's 'The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (2012).'

Deb is an amazing food blogger that lives in Manhattan and has taken the food world by storm. 
As a home cook, she makes accessible recipes that always turn out delicious.

As you guys know, I am not very good at baking, but her recipes are my new first stop when I am looking for something off of the Food Network spectrum. 
If you haven't checked her out yet, you need to: 





This recipe was not only like diving face first into a New York City bagel shop, but it carries a golden halo because you make it the night before.
This means you can visit with your company and actually enjoy the conversation because you don't have to cook! 
Or hit that snooze button one more time!
Just pop it in the oven, sit back and enjoy.

Recipe:
(This is a loose rendition of Deb's recipe. 
For her actual recipe you have to get her book, which is worth it, and highly recommended; 
Not only for the recipes, but for her banter, food commentary, and beautiful photographs)

Ingredients:
8 cups of good bagels cut into cubes (I used a variety of pumpernickel, everything, sesame, poppy and garlic)
8 ounces of chilled cream cheese, cut into small bits
1/4 medium red onion sliced into thin half moons
1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
8 large eggs 
2 1/3 cups of milk or half-&-half
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

lox and capers and/or bacon for serving

Steps:
Spread a third of the bagel cubes in a 9x13 inch pan. Dot the bagels with a third of the cream cheese bits, and mix in the red onion and cherry tomatoes. Repeat in two more alternating layers. Whisk eggs with milk, salt and pepper and pour the mixture over the bagel mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning discard plastic wrap and bake at 350 for an hour to an hour 1/4 or until a knife comes out clean. Let it rest 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with lox and capers on the side, and/or bacon


I almost skipped the side of lox and capers, but I am glad that I didn't; 
It made it just that much better.

Thank you Deb for my new go-to breakfast casserole!
Friends, you will be seeing this on my counter for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment