June 5, 2013

Cool as Ice

I'm cheap.
Well, at least too cheap to buy ice trays. 

I normally make a big bowl of punch, circa 1950's, for a large gathering, which means I make a big ice ring using a bundt pan. This time, however, I used my larger pitchers and punch dispensers for the beverages, so I had to come up with something a little more creative. 

So, instead of using plain ice, or buying ice trays, I used my mini-muffin pans to make flavored ice.
It worked great, and just in time for summery drinks!

Cheers to THAT!

Here are two that I made for this past occasion:

Lemonade Ice with Slices of Lemon:



(Bad Picture, But You Get The Idea)

Strawberry Basil Ice:





This is pretty much a no-brainer, but there are two simple tricks to doing this: 
One, try to use the coordinating juice in the ice. This way, when the ice melts it doesn't water down your drinks. 
The second, is let the ice melt a little before trying to get it out of the tray, otherwise it is impossible. Just allow it to melt a little bit, then pop them out with a fork.

Cheers!!

The possibilities are endless, but here are a few fun suggestions:

- Frozen Clamato Juice with Hot Sauce and Olives for Bloody Mary's

- Frozen Pineapple/Orange/Banana Juice for Your Summery Foo-Foo Drinks

- Frozen Lime Juice with Mint and Sugar Cubes for a Mojito

- Frozen Raspberries, Pom Seeds or Other Fruits for Water = You Will Never Need to Buy Flavored Water Again!

Have fun with this and happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment