January 27, 2013

The Herbivore's Dilemma

"One Week of Vegetarianism in a Home of Carnivores"

After a weekend of complete and utter gluttony, I have decided that this week we are going vegetarian to give our bodies some peace.
I've been brainstorming menu ideas, and I have decided on the items below. I did this for a few months last year and it exposed us to some great flavor options, we lost weight and felt better.
I used to make fun of vegetarians, but you cannot beat the colors, textures, and flavor spectrum of vegetables. I always need my cheeseburgers, but I guess I can say that my perspective has shifted.
 I'm getting soft with age.

Tonight:
Portobellos, Roasted Poblano Peppers and Swiss toasted on Heidelberg French Peasant Bread (the best bread in the world) for us...grilled swiss on pumperknickle for Elias
(see recipe below)

Monday:
Vegetable Stir-fry with Red Rice Noodles

Tuesday:
Sweet Potato Thai Curry

Wednesday:
Cauliflower-Puree Pierogies with Brown Butter, Caramelized Onions and Roasted Brussel Sprouts (PKR you inspired this new dish. I could eat your cauliflower puree for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So good!)

Thursday:
3 Bean Chili with Sour Cream and Garlic Bread (for Todd and Elias); Miso soup and Green Goddess rolls out on the town for me! Woo-hoo!

Friday:
Vegetarian Nacho-platter (Using left over chili from Thursday)

Saturday:
Black Bean Soup with Charred Corn, Sherry and Creme Fraiche

Sunday:
Strawberry Shortcake

I will be posting the recipes each day this week so stay tuned.
Let me know what you guys think! Any other ideas? I love hearing from you all!

Portobello, Poblano and Swiss Recipe:
This recipe is so easy, so quick and so delicious. It even satisfies my meat-eating husband, and has become a regular item on our kitchen menu. The key is the Heidelberg bread; when toasted it becomes crispy deliciousness, that balances the textures of the mushrooms and peppers. If it is unavailalbe in your area, try to find a good quality homemade bread, sliced on the thinner side.

Ingredients:
4 Large Portobello Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 Poblano Peppers, roasted, pealed and sliced (or red bell pepper is good too)
4 slices of swiss cheese
4 pieces of Heidelberg French Peasant Bread

Directions:
1. Prepare your poblano peppers (char over an open flame, seal in a paper bag until cool, peel and slice)
2. Saute mushrooms in oil and season with salt and pepper
3. Toast your bread in the oven and add the swiss cheese to each slice for the last minute to melt
4. Layer mushrooms and peppers and sandwich; salt and pepper to season
5. Cut in half and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment