December 7, 2012

Holiday Shopping List

So, I'm off to shop for myself. I mean, I'm off to shop for the holidays. Here are a few of my ideas to make holiday spirit's bright. Mind you, some of these gifts exist in a land without medical bills, house bills, food bills or other life necessities, but a girl can dream...and window shop...or max out her credit card...Others are totally doable regardless of your personal budget.
 
Dreamy gifts for me...I mean her:
Serena and Lily's Navy Blue Pom-Pom Throw + a bottle of nice Pinot Noir = Happiness
ps. sale until 12/18!!!
 
Any piece of jewelry from my friend Katie's site, Adler-Grier, or the Sundance catalogue. Fetching!
 
Classic Gift for Him:
Macallan Single Malt Scotch
 
Great gifts for co-workers, groomers, friends, friends of friends, teachers...
My good friend Jo brought me these Bequet caramels as a hostess gift. At first I thought, "Oh, that is nice." Then I ate one...then two...then I hid the bag and didn't share them with anyone. Including my husband. I know that sea salt is all of the rage right now, but trust me, there is a reason. Order the sea salt caramels. Decadent.
 
Another great gift my girlfriend Jo brought: She made a batch of biscotti and put it in a large glass canister. In addition she gave us glass bottles of 'La Colombe' Pure Black, Cold Pressed Coffee. This stuff is crack-cocaine for housewives. I drank one before my half marathon in June, and I was good to go for the first nine miles. I haven't slept since.
www.lacolombe.com

 
Sur la Table's fun and festive holiday ornaments. Some of my favorites; slab of bacon, eggs benedict and the bbq food truck.
www.surlatable.com


"Cookie of the Month Club." I have never done this, but I love the idea! You don't use a website or bakery. You make the cookies yourself and send them to your loved ones every month. What a great way to show somebody you think about them all year long. Thank you Maryanne! I'm totally going to steal this! :)

Anything homemade. I know this is a craze, but there is a reason for this craze. Last year's favorite was Paul and Kathy's homemade 'Cranberry Infused Vodka.' It arrived in a decorative bottle, adorned with a homemade label. Kathy's script was the finishing touch....except the floor...where I ended up after enjoying the entire bottle with my brother.
 
For the kiddos:
Again, I have to give a shout out to Serena and Lily. They collaborated with Hanna Andersson and made pajamas. The result is the Hanna Andersson style we all love with the Serena and Lily textile patterns we can't get enough of. Pair these with a set of Hanna Andersson Swedish moccasins = baby bliss. Elias will be rockin' these this year.
 
Okay. Serious shit. For any of you who know me, know that I have a problem...a serious addiction to 'Jellycat' stuffed animals. Elias has five million of these, and I give them for gifts to everyone I know who has a child under the age of 16. I am pretty sure I buy them for myself. This season's favorites are 'The Babbington Cat,' or any of the 'Mad Pets Collection, especially Matilda.'

Other/All:
The past year I started to give the gift of books; cookbooks to be more precise. It is a risky venture since we all have different and diverse tastes in what we read and eat, so I always tuck the gift receipt in the front page, but to me, there is nothing that feels as good as a brand new, unbroken, hard-covered cookbook in my grasp. I pair it, wrapped in the ribbon, with a seasonal favorite; a set of ceramic measuring spoons, a cookie cutter, a good cooking knife (I'm not superstitious about that one)...maybe one of the fun Sur la Table ornaments I suggested above.
Here are my top 5 cookbooks for this holiday season:
 
Edible Selby by Todd Selby. This Brooklyn photographer goes behind the scenes in restaurants from around the world; paired with watercolor illustrations and text this book is a beaut.e.
 
What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Pieces by foodie blog/photographer Katie Quinn Davies. Her food photography makes you want to lick the pages.
 
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman. I, like the rest of the world, love this woman. She is not a chef, which is her appeal; she is approachable, and for the rest of us, makes us feel like we are not alone in this culinary adventure. She is a celebrated food blogger, and her cookbook delights both the eyes and the stomach.

The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook by Ridge, Gluck and Kilmer-Purcell. This keepsake cookbook makes a lovely gift that can be passed through friends and family. Bonus: It contains a recipe for Utica Greens!

Tender by Nigel Slater. A staple on my shelf and a gardener's dream.
 
My Top Five Gifts to Never Give Anyone. Ever. Ever.
1. Fragrance. Unless she/he has been wearing it for years and has specifically asked you for a refill.
2. An etiquette book...although I've been tempted on many an occasion...
3. Fruitcake.
4. Pets. If somebody gave me a puppy I'd knock their block off.
5. Diet pills.
 
Happy Holidays Everyone! We are very close!


No comments:

Post a Comment