March 27, 2013

Sweet Potato Gratin-ish

So I didn't actually follow a recipe for this dish. 
We recently went to a favorite restaurant down in Naples, Florida and they served this delightful side with a pan roasted fish. 
It was a simple layering of thinly sliced sweet potatoes, and ever-so-thinly sliced cheese.
I usually imagine gratins being super cheesy and creamy, but this wasn't the case. 
It was simple, savory and sweet.
It stole the spotlight, so I thought I would give it a go. 
I need to switch up my cheeses. used what I had in my refrigerator: Swiss, Romano and mozzarella. The flavor was still nice, but the mozzarella made the dish watery and chewy. 
So, when you follow this "recipe" keep in mind that it is a work in progress. Feel free to substitute cheeses and herbs to your liking and let me know what you find!
Recipe:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced super thin with a mandolin 
1 lb of cheese, sliced very thin
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme 
1/2 cup of Romano cheese
s/p

Directions: 
In a medium sized baking dish, begin with a single layer of sweet potatoes. Sprinkle lightly with romano cheese and lay cheese sliced on top of sweet potatoes. Salt, Pepper and Herb. Repeat until the baking dish is full. End with a layer of Cheese on top.
Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes. For the last 15 minutes uncover until the top cheese is golden and bubbly.

Again, remember this is a work in progress, so be forgiving, experiment, and let me know what you find out and think about this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment